Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Banquet Cake


My littlest sister-in-law turned fifteen early July and asked me to decorate her cake.  I've decorated cakes before...with droopy icing.   I've seen my mom decorate cakes 'professionally' but I've never decorated a cake for an event before.  For sure not a formal banquet/party.  Yikes!  But when a fifteen-year-old cutie has faith in you, what are you to do?

The answer is simple.  When you are ever in the slightest of pickles, deep inside the bellows of holy-smokes-I-don't-know-how-to-do-this; there are three things that can save you: Jesus, Google and Youtube!

Now, I do have some experience watching cakes being decorated.  My mom does amazing artwork with cakes.  That's how I knew that I wanted to use fondant. The problem was that I had no clue how to make it, how to use it or what all I can do with it....but that's some of the fun.

So, I Googled the recipe, and Youtubed the hows and Voila!  We have decorated cake.

No, it wasn't that easy.  I still had to mix the icing sugar with melted marshmallows the night before but that didn't take as long as I thought it would.  But when I was kneading the fondant, I noticed that it kinda smelled a lot like Plasticine.  That doesn't say much for what marshmallows are made of.



The cake didn't quite turn out like the masterpiece I had imagined but I'd say it was a success.  As hard as I tried, I couldn't get the fondant to turn red and had to settle with a hot pink. All in all, when the day was done, the Quinceañera was happy and the guests had cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment