Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I wanna write story books when I grow up!

It all started out of pure fun.   I was sitting in my little sister-in-law's room teasing her about being an oop (monkey)......so I folded some paper together, borrowed her pencil crayons and drew up a quick book with all the Low German words I knew.  The rest is history.  So now, in an effort to keep my sanity, I've decided to embark on a brand new hobby: writing, illustrating, arranging and constructing my own hard cover story books.

With the stories and concepts I've made so far out of fun, I've started my first real book-in-progress as a gift for my two-year-old niece.  How many kids can say "I have a story book about me"?

Here's a list of concepts I have lined up and the progress I've made on them.  I've separated them into series.

Teach Your Child Plattdeutch Series
A series of books with simple sentences that use Low German words to get your child started on learning a new language.

       1.  Kenia the Oop

    • Kenia is a monkey who eats bananas, sleeps and grows.  The sentences are simple and contain one Low German word with an illustration for the word.
    • Inspired by my little sister Kenia....the real Oop. 
    • Complete but needs to be edited (German phonetics) and digitized.
    • Images need enhancement.
      2.  Wasani and the Hose
    • Wasani is a little boy who goes on an adventure on his Grandpa's farm and befriends a rabbit (hose).
    • Inspired by my nephew Mandel (mostly known as Wasani)
    • Cover concept completed.
    • Needs to be digitized.
    • Storyline needs completion
The Best Dog of All: Fritz Series
A series of books inspired by my dog, Fritz.

        1.  A Puppy Named Fritzy

    • Fritzy is my puppy and best friend during the first 9 months of being married.  I stayed at home without kids so Fritz was my baby during that time.  It's a story of appreciation for a loyal friend.
    • Story complete.
    • Illustrations left.
       2.  Fritz the Dog

    • Fitz is much older and spends a lot of time with his Martin.  This was written after waking up to our dear friend having a seizure on the porch.  It was a scary night for our little family....we thought we would lose him.
    • Story complete
    • Illustrations left.


Other Children's Books

  1. The Mootz that Scootz
    • Mootz is a baby girl with big blue eyes and very little hair.  She turned one with no teeth and hadn't learned how to walk - but she scooted everywhere.....fast!
    • Inspired by my niece Ariella - the real Mootz.
    • Story & Illustrations complete.
    • Digitized.
    • Printing and Hardcover binding left for completion.

Upcoming concepts are stories/series that may include:
  • The Adventures of Nurse Anna.
  • Sweet Princess Gyal 
As I progress with each project I'll be posting updates on them.   I'd like to think of it as a way to keep myself motivated to finish them all.   I just hope I can keep this up and write stories about my own kids when they come around....... until then, I've got all of the above to keep me busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment